Have you ever booked a flight and had to cancel it for some reason? If you’re a United Airlines customer, you’re in luck. The American company has a clear and easy to understand refund policy.
United Airlines’ cancellation and refund policy varies depending on the type of ticket you purchased. However, the good news is that they offer refunds for most ticket types. Here are some of the key points of United Airlines’ refund policy:
– Refundable Tickets: If you purchased a ticket that includes a refund option, you may receive a full refund to your original form of payment. You can cancel your ticket at any time before the scheduled departure time.
– Non-refundable tickets: If you have purchased a ticket that does not include a last minute cancellation refund option, you can still get your money back if you cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking that should be done at least one week before flight departure.
– Basic Economy tickets: If you have purchased a Basic Economy ticket, you will not be able to cancel your flight unless it is within the 24 hour window of booking. Otherwise, if you cancel your flight, you will not be eligible for a refund.
– Award tickets: If you purchased a ticket with your MileagePlus miles, you can cancel your flight and receive a full refund of your miles any time before your scheduled departure time. This gives you the flexibility to change your plans without losing your hard-earned miles.
To redeposit your miles, simply contact United Airlines by phone or online and request a refund. The miles will be credited to your MileagePlus account within days. Keep in mind that there may be a fee for redepositing miles, depending on the type of award ticket you redeemed.
Changing the departure date or booking a new ticket
According to United Airlines policy, if you cancel a ticket or change your departure date, you must pay the difference in price if the new ticket is more expensive than the first. This means that if you booked a ticket at a lower fare and then decided to change your travel plans, you may have to pay more for the new ticket. The amount payable depends on the difference between the original fare and the new fare, as well as applicable taxes and fees.
Are cancellation fees charged by United Airlines?
This used to be where the airline applied fees varying between $200 and $400, but now this operation can be done free of charge (depending on the conditions of the flight ticket booked).
Cancel your United Airlines flight ticket reservation in a few simple steps
Your travel plans may change and you should cancel your reservation. If you’ve booked a flight with United Airlines and need to cancel it, here’s what to do:
- Go to the “My Trips” page. Enter your confirmation number and last name to access your reservation.
- Select and display the flight you wish to cancel from the list of reservations. If you have multiple reservations, be sure to select the correct one.
- Click on the “Cancel reservation” button and read the terms and conditions. United Airlines applies cancellation policies that vary depending on the fare you purchased and the time frame in which you cancel.
- If you agree to the terms, click “Confirm Cancellation” to cancel your flight. You will receive a confirmation email once the cancellation has been made. Be sure to save this confirmation for your records.
- If you are entitled to a refund, you can request it online. However, keep in mind that some fares are non-refundable or have strict refund policies. It is important to check the rules of your fare before requesting a refund.
Contact United Airlines Customer Service
If you encounter any difficulties during the cancellation process or have questions regarding your reservation, contact United Airlines Customer Service. Dial 1-800-864-8331, they are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you solve your problems.